Friday, November 30, 2007

300

I finally got the oppurtunity to see this movie. I was impressed with the special effects and some of the fight scenes, but overall this movie was terrible. I've come to expect some historical inaccuracies in movies, which is fine as long as they are not too eggregious and the story is good, but this movie had them in spades. Gladiator was flawed but was vastly superior and far more enjoyable than this flick. I was pleased that they got the Spartan training right, yet what was up with this flick? Am I watching the re-telling of a true historical event or a cheap knock-off of the Lord of the Rings? Every bad character was depicted as some kind of demon and there were monsters in this. Say what?!? The real story of the Battle of Thermopylae is one of the greatest from the ancient world, with real characters that still inspire people to this day. I hope someone else will take up this story and do a better job with it because this one stunk -- even though I liked seeing more of David Wenham.

2 comments:

Deleted said...

It was based on a comic book about the battle. It's no surprise that it was so far off the mark.

JohnAGJ said...

Good point. Eh, guess I'm too much of a history buff so I like more accuracy in movies about such events. Besides, it's a fantastic story that doesn't require this level of embellishment.