Thursday, May 15, 2008

Music to stir one's soul...

When I was growing up in the 1980s I used to really like Contemporary Christian Music, also known as Christian Rock. Singers like Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman, Michael W. Smith, etc. sang about faith in God and living for Christ that I found really inspiring. At times this music was my "sanctuary" of sorts, a retreat from a world hostile to gays. Perhaps that seems ironic to some given that most of these singers come from a particular faith tradition that has traditionally been very hostile to gays. Yet music is a powerful thing and it was the message that they imparted through their songs which I found to be comforting and gave me hope of God's love. Through the years since then I turn to this music from time to time and it's like greeting an old friend. Yesterday, during the commute, I listened to a favorite of mine: Rich Mullins, who was unfortunately killed in a car accident in 1997. Mullins seemed to be a humble fellow whose faith in God and love for his fellow man rang out in his music. One of my favorites is his muscial version of the Apostles' Creed:

Rich Mullins - "Creed (Credo)"



Upon arriving home last night, I was pleased to find a number of good selections from Eugene over on Paradoxy. One in particular I found to be especially moving was by a much younger singer named Bebo Norman. His song "Nothing Without You" is just awesome:



Funny how we can recognize just how much we rely upon those whom we love, but all of us are guilty of ignoring at times the same when it comes to the Almighty. Great music and I thank Eugene for posting stuff I wasn't familiar with.

0 comments: