Sunday, February 24, 2008

Jericho



Thanks to 'subtle' prodding by Kevin, I decided to give this show a look-see. Wow. I soured on TV shows a couple of years ago and cut off cable (meaning in my area I get no TV at all) because I was tired of paying so much money for crap. I cannot say enough just how much I do not care about "American Idol", "America's Top Model" and other 'reality' shite that has flooded television in recent years and passes for 'entertainment' nowadays. Yet occasionally a show comes along that does interest me and when I discover them it is like savoring a fine wine. Since cutting off TV, I've downloaded programs from iTunes that I enjoy, mostly Battlestar Galactica (another excellent series) and the occasional History Channel show, along with watching DVDs from Netflix. I have to say though that Jericho is one of the best shows I've seen on television in a long time. I downloaded Season 1 from iTunes the other night and had a marathon of sorts, watching every available episode from the pilot on through those I found from Season 2. The writing, acting and even the special effects (a-bomb explosions, etc.) are extremely well-done especially for TV. I just cannot understand why it has such low ratings. Perhaps it hits too close to home for many after 9/11. I know that it was chilling for me to see video clips of the people running away from the dust cloud in NYC used in an earlier episode. Nevertheless, if you haven't seen this show I highly recommend it!

One more thing, the cast. They did a fantastic job in assembling this cast. It was good to see Gerald McRaney (Johnston Green) again. He has played many roles over the years I've liked and he also reminds me a bit of my father. Pamela Reed (Gail Green) is a treat to see starring in this, she stole theshow IMO in the 1990 comedy Kindergarten Cop. Alicia Coppola (Mimi Clark) has brought a lot of amusement to the show as the "Big City Girl" stuck in a farm town after the nuclear holocaust. The above quiz says that I am supposedly more like the character Stanley Richmond (played by Brad Beyer), which is probably more accurate than not in basic personality traits though not interests, but my favorite by far is Skeet Ulrich (Jake Green):


I've never heard of him before watching this show. He is definitely a hottie and is quite good in the role he plays! I hope we see more of him in other shows soon.

10 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

Hi John,

Welcome to my addiction called Jericho. Glad to see you. Thanks for your post.

SaveJake said...

You Rock!!! Jericho is addictive TV. Thanks for telling people about it and please keep telling everyone. We need to keep it on the air. Too good to lose!
I submitted you to Digg so go....Digg It! Thanks again!

JohnAGJ said...

LOL! Thanks. I didn't realize that Jericho had such a devoted fan-base. I'll have to check out the links on Jericho Returns' profile. It's a good show and even though Ulrich is indeed "eye-candy" he's also very good in the role. I hope the show lasts for more than 7 episodes this season...

SaveJake said...

Did you hear about the show that was cancelled and saved by the fans with over 40,000 pounds of peanuts sent to CBS??? They had to change their phone numbers and email addy's....
That was Jericho! We are very devoted fans but I'm afraid we're not Nielsens. :(
Every member of the cast and crew are fabulous!!!

auntvonna said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jericho, John! I think just about every single Jericho fan out there feels the same way you do about the crap that's on tv these days (which is why we all rallied and fought so hard to save this show. We FINALLY had something worth watching on network t.v.!) There are a lot of Battlestar fans in the Jericho fandom as well (myself included). Glad you found the show!

JohnAGJ said...

SaveJ: I did find a number of amusing vids on You Tube about that. Amazing that I missed all of that last year. I guess being unpluged from TV left me out of the loop. Glad to have discovered this show though. I'm now officially hooked.

Aunt: Thanks for the welcome! It is a quality show, isn't it? One would think that TV heads would realize that shows like Jericho and Battlestar Galactica create loyal fans who hunger for better entertainment than the crap they usually go with.

Kevin said...

Skeet's cute :-)

JohnAGJ said...

Since March 2001 he's single too! Not that this means anything of course...

Suzi_Tassie said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jericho addiction! (And Skeet addiction too *giggles*)

I presume you are going to be watching on Tuesday nights now? If you are, or you just feel like telling CBS what you think, drop them a line at audsvcs@cbs.com and let them know you love the show, your demographic,and how you watched the show. They are hopefully counting us, and we can all help to bring Jericho back for a third season!

Great to have you in the fandom! :D

Suzi xox

JohnAGJ said...

Thanks Suzi! Skeet is quite the looker, ain't he? He's a good actor from what I've seen too. ;-)