Sunday, December 2, 2007

Words to live by...

Either somebody I know is trying to send me a message, with impeccible timing I might add but will explain another day, or the sales department of Men's Health magazine hasn't forgotten me and wants me to renew that subscription which lapsed a long time ago. I say this because I received two issues in the mail the other day without my asking for them. One article in particular caught my eye has some good life lessons from many famous coaches. While I've never been much of an athlete myself, I do know the kind of influence a really good coach can have on people and much of what was in the article I thought was worthy of rememberance. So, here are a few of the better ones:

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but simply the moving on with dignity despite that fear." - Pat Riley, Miami Heat

"Today, you have 100% of your life left." - Tom Landry, Dallas Cowboys

"Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good." - Joe Paterno, Penn State

"You can learn a line from a win and a book from a defeat." - Paul Brown, Cincinnati Bengals

"It's not whether you got knocked down. It's wheter you get back up." - Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers

"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." - John Wooden, UCLA

2 comments:

Retired Geezer said...

I like that John Wooden quote.

dain42 said...

Actually, I just saw JoePa tonight. We went caroling, and his house was one our stops.

That quote has actually served as the basis for the motto of Penn State Intercollegiate Athetics: "Success With Honor".