Sunday, October 21, 2007

"I, Claudius" 30 Years Later



Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8.

I first saw this superb epic at the young age of 8 (yeah, I was an odd child I guess). At first glance to my young eyes it appeared to be nothing more than a "Mommy show", one of those annoying programs that thanks to Mother's insistence interrupted the true classics of television viewing like Gilligan's Island or Hogan's Heroes. Yet for some reason it captured my imagination and held me spell-bound during its complete run. Seeing the likes of Derek Jacobi, Jon Hurt, Brian Blessed and others broke through the monotony of the stale programs I was used to and exposed me for the first time to how great acting can be. Besides that, it's a good yarn of soap operic proportions. Ever since then whenever I catch this program on TV I still find something to enjoy in it. Seeing the actors from this show interviewed 30 years later was simply a delight.

0 comments: