Sunday, April 26, 2009

Recommended Reading


I've finally finished reading Prayers for Bobby. This is the true story of Bobby Griffith a young gay man whose inability to reconcile his sexuality and the fundamentalist religious tradition in which he was raised, led him to take his own life.

A very sad and poignant tale. Sad for obvious reasons but also poignant in the story of his mother's redemption of sorts: the arduous and painful journy to overcome the rigid beliefs she held that helped drive Bobby to take his own life. This book is about her story as well as Bobby's. I can't do this book enough justice in describing it but I do highly recommend it.

Also check out the movie that was based upon this book and stars Sigourney Weaver.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, I saw the movie and read the book. Both were wonderful. Thanks for bringing the book to the attention of those who don't know it.

Shane

JohnAGJ said...

I saw the movie via iTunes and read the book afterwards. Both were indeed good and normally I'm not much of a Lifetime fan! Too cheesy IMO. Yet Sigourney Weaver did pretty good...

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie on YouTube!!!