Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Podcast Interview With Servicemembers United Vets

Last night Alexander Nicholson & Jarrod Chlapowski of Servicemembers United were interviewed on the Gay Patriot's America podcast. If you haven't listened to it yet, I highly recommend that you do. These two gents are gay veterans and not your typical activists. I was very impressed with what both of them had to say and how they handled themselves. This is a controversial subject for many and while I am strongly in favor of repealing DADT, I did play the role of "Devil's Advocate" in asking some tough questions. While time constraints limited them fully responding, they both knocked the proverbial ball out of the park with their responses. As I said, I'm very supportive of repealing the ban but even more so of the mission of the military which has to take priority over all other considerations. From what I could tell last night, these two men keep both in mind when approaching this and that is just outstanding. Goodonya & Bravo Zulu, gents!

Servicemembers United has launched their new website with quite a number of blogs that I myself will enjoy reading through. Take a few moments and look through what they have to offer for active duty/reserve members of the military along with anyone interested in this important debate. Don't forget that starting this weekend, SU and other groups will be hosting the "12,000 Flags for 12,000 Patriots" event in Washington, DC. I plan on joining them in support and will report afterwards on this blog and over on Gay Patriot about what transpired.

7 comments:

Deleted said...

Alexander and Jarrod are patriots of the highest caliber. They must have been given a double portion of bravery. First they put their lives on the line for their country. Then they put themselves out in the public eye for a cause they believe in. I really look up to these guys (even though I'm older than them).

JohnAGJ said...

They both are good men IMO whom I believe will continue on towards even greater accomplishments in their lives. Of course, they are human too just like you and I so they have their flaws like we all do. Yet I must say that they have more gumption than I do with their unabashed public stance on this. Drop them an email, I'm sure they'd enjoy it. Take care.

Deleted said...

I hope I didn't sound like I was gushing too much. I'm sure they have human flaws like all of us. I just really admire what they are doing. I could use a shot of their courage right now.

I also think that their exposure is good for the gay community at large. I've only seen them on the net, but all of the Servicemembers United guys seem to be well-spoken, intelligent, masculine men. They don't fit the stereotype that most people have of gay men. I have nothing against those who do fit the stereotype, but I think it's good to show the world that gay men come in all different shapes, sizes, personalities, backgrounds, etc.

By the way, I can't get the podcast to work. I've heard other interviews by these guys though, and they really do a good job.

JohnAGJ said...

Don't worry, I didn't take your comments as being effusively gushing. Even if you were a bit, so what? I understand what it's like to discover something that really shakes up what you're used to and that inspires you. We all need a "shot of courage" now and then so when somebody comes along and either directly or inadvertently gives you boost, it can be a heady moment. I've had my own moments of 'gushing' when that happened too. Yet that moment goes away pretty quick when you see how real the people are. Alex & Jarrod are good men and from meeting them, I can say that what you see on the interviews/videos is what they are really like. Don't tell them I said this though, gotta keep their heads below the clouds ya know. ;-)

Seriously though, as with all people there are good and bad among gays. Alex & Jarrod, along with others I've gotten to know in this, are among the good guys.

As for the podcast, not sure why it isn't working but try this link:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gaypatriotamerica

Scroll down to the 11/27/07 episode. Enjoy.

Deleted said...

I'm probably too sensitive to the "gushing" issue. I've always been an admirer of the military, but as a gay civilian, sometimes I worry that it will be taken as some sort of fetish. Stick the hottest guy in the world in a uniform, and it does nothing for me. It's the people inside the uniform that I like. (OK, sometimes I do get a crush on them too, but that's beside the point.)

JohnAGJ said...

A very sensible way to look at it. :)

Deleted said...

The second link works. Thanks! I finally got around to listening to the entire interview. It has some good perspectives on the DADT issue. Anyone who has even a passing interest in this topic should take a listen to the podcast.