Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Ever-Growing American Commute

[S]o many people now commute more than an hour-and-a-half to work, the Census Bureau has given them a new name: Extreme commuters.

"It's amazing the number of people who are commuting those distances today," said Alan Pisarski, author of a government report. "It's growing five times as fast as the general growth in commuting — about three million, 3½ million [commute] more than 90 minutes a day, about ten million more than 60 minutes." (CBS News)

The cost of housing whether owning or renting is so high in many areas like where I live that most people have little choice but to live far away from their jobs. The closer one gets to D.C. the rent on an apartment can be more than a mortgage on some houses further down I-95! It's no surprise to me that "extreme commuting" is a growing trend in America. I've been doing over a 50 mile drive each way to get to work. Hence why I've grown so fond of my iPod and listen to so many podcasts I suppose...

0 comments: